No Saguaro

No Saguaro

January 5, 2012

Welcome!

To those of you who are first-time visitors to this new blog, I bid you welcome (insert proper Bela Lugosi accent here). It is my sincere hope that you are not one of us unfortunate souls who exist here in what is commonly called "the Old Pueblo." If you are, I'm assuming that you are here either because you share the sentiments expressed by this blog's title, or because you are offended by it and wish to defend what passes for this city's honor. Either way, I look forward to your input.

For those who wonder why this blog is here, I created it out of a sense of frustration. When I first moved here nearly a decade ago after surviving for nearly two decades on the East Coast, I looked forward to simply being able to settle into my new pastoral existence in the northwestern part of the city, meet new neighbors, establish new professional and social contacts, and generally do whatever I could to contribute to the betterment of everyone's life here through peaceful, voluntary interaction. Before moving here I had visited Tucson frequently over a period of several years for both work and pleasure, during each of the area's five seasons, meeting many people from all walks of life, enjoying the climate and thinking that Tucson was a functional city like any other, even considering that it had its own unique problems.
It soon became evident that I was unprepared for what it meant to actually live here year round and permanently. After succumbing to the bait of lovely year-round weather (yes, that includes summer; I'm a proverbial "desert rat") and what was then a dynamic housing market, it dawned on me after my first three months of actually living here that all was not as it at first seemed. It soon became apparent that the inhabitants of this place were the most anti-social, apathetic, bigoted, ignorant, irresponsible, lazy, shiftless, substance-addicted and STUPID creatures I had ever encountered, even by Arizona standards. I could not and still cannot grasp how it is possible that so much human stupidity is concentrated in one municipal unit and yet that unit still manages to function as a civilization. There must be just enough people here with IQs north of the zero mark able to keep the cogs in motion and prevent collapse, although I'm still not sure after nearly ten years here just who these people are. I certainly don't encounter them on a regular basis. The bottom line is that intelligent, motivated, hardworking, thrifty, moral, critically thinking people have an extremely difficult time adapting to Tucson. In fact, those who can (i.e., those with enough foresight not to have bought property here and who are not tied down to a local job) usually leave in disgust after a very short time. As has been pointed out on this excellent blog, many, if not most of those who have no choice but to stay usually resign themselves to a tedious, ultimately meaningless existence which they attempt to cope with through drug and alcohol abuse, just like the natives do. That's why even those who are not native to this godforsaken city but who have spent enough years of their lives here become indistinguishable from those who are Tucson born and bred.

Yours truly, however, has no intention of giving in to the status quo. To be perfectly clear, I fault no one but myself for the decision to buy overpriced property here during the "boom" period, but that has little bearing on my hatred of this city. The fact is that I intend to either reform my own small piece of this place or become a bone in its collective throat while trying. Either way, I intend to show the world this city's true colors. Hopefully this will serve to prevent more well-meaning people from being deceived into moving here, or encourage those with no alternative but to stay here to make a difference. With any luck and with God's help, both will happen.

3 comments:

  1. Great blog - both of them!

    After seeing your comments on Will Grigg's blog for the last couple of years, I finally decided to check out your blogs.

    It's nice to see someone else who can call a spade a spade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael:

    Welcome, and thank you for commenting! It will probably take a little while for others to find this new blog, as I had to correct a domain name error by recreating the blog and reindexing the meta data.

    Do come back and visit regularly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete